[sebhc] hard sector substitute

Carroll Waddell CarrollWaddell at sc.rr.com
Mon Jul 12 17:42:18 CDT 2004

Eric J. Rothfus wrote:

>I am quite enjoying this exchange, so I thought I'd add a
>crazy idea.  It would be fairly easy to create the "drill
>bit" from a hot piece of wire.  You'd have to do quite a
>few experiments on a sacrificial floppy to see what voltage/
>current on the wire made the best hole with the least
>amount of rolled-up plastic lip.  The best wire shape would
>be an interesting experiment too.
>
>Eric
>
>--

I went to Lowes today and picked up a piece of laminated shelf material.
I am going to try to use this as a base. I want to get a diskette drive
hub and clamp. I'm going to try to put that in the laminate base. The
tricky part will be to drill the holes for the center of the drive hub
and the hole. I am going to try to either buy or make a die that will be
pressed into the base. Then a slidable piece on top will contain the
photosensor and the hole punch. That's about as far as I've gotten yet.
Carroll