[sebhc] Hello to all H-8 Users!

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Fri Jun 4 11:55:01 CDT 2004

>From: "Collado, Norberto" <norberto.collado at hp.com>
>
>Hello Ron,
>
>	If I recall properly my H-8 was booting CP/M and H-DOS from the
>10 meg hard drive. It was using the SASI interface card from Heathkit to
>a controller than converted from SASI protocol to MFM format. SASI was
>replaced by SCSI. An alternate option will be to find a converter from
>IDE to SCSI
>(http://www.provantage.com/buy-7ADDO13U-ide-scsi-converter-win32-dos-lin
>ux-mac-addonics-adaec7726h-shopping.htm) and update H-DOS or CP/M to
>handle it.
>
>	I think it will be easier to use your design. If you can use a
>single PAL for your design that will be great!  I will loved  to upgrade
>to an IDE to keep the system going, because eventually my MFM disk drive
>will stop working and then will be back to floppies again. I will need
>to put together my H-8 to give you more information and changes we did
>back them to the OS to support the MFM 10 Meg hard drives.

Hi
 One might consider taking a MFM controller card from old
XT machines and making a simple adapter to the H-8 buss.
I did something similar for my NC-4000 processor board
( A Forth chip ). These controllers need no interrupts
or 8 to 16 bit registers like the IDE needs. The control
code is almost identical to the IDE that was for the
most part an extension of the MFM controllers. Most
have EPROM sockets if one wanted to have boot code
and such.
Dwight