[sebhc] H17 diskettes

Peter peter59 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 28 19:45:57 CDT 2004

The problem is not in how many sectors were present on the soft sector disk,
but in the density of the bits recorded on the track. Much of this is
controlled by the integrated circuit that interfaces with the drive. This is
what is known as the disk controller. In the H37 it was a 1797 disk
controller IC. If the controller IC in your computer is not compatible with
the bit density that the 1797 wrote, then your hardware will not be able to
read the floppy - it has nothing to do with the drive. Maybe I got too
technical?

Peter
peter59 at sbcglobal.net - http://www.geocities.com/anapro.geo/