[sebhc] Soft or Hard?

Steve Thatcher melamy at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 30 13:31:01 CDT 2004

the reason this whole thing started was to be able to use soft sector disks in a hard sector controller. The only reason to do that was to be able to use disks that are easier to come by.

I am not aware of any soft sector controllers (1771, 1793, 765, 8272, etc) that can be told to read hard sector formatted disks. The hard sector holes were used to mark a position on disk to read and write on. In a soft sectored format, data is written across an entire track when you format a disk. When you go to write on a specific sector, the controller actually reads the sector info off the track in order to find and then the write at the proper position.

best regards, Steve Thatcher