[sebhc] Tape recovery

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Tue May 18 22:42:52 CDT 2004

I've been recovering data from the Tapes that Jack sent to me.
They are very brittle - the tape comes off the leader very
easily, and I have had to cur a few open and repair them.

So far I have:

BUG-8 2.01.01
BUG-8 2.05.00

TED-8 3.01.01
TED-8 3.05.00

HASL-8 4.01.01
HASL-8 4.05.00

BHBASIC 5.01.01
BHBASIC 5.01.02

EXBASIC 10.05.00

I still have a number of tapes marked "memory images" to go - a couple of
slips of paper indicating that they have memory test and led display
programs.

I'm guessing that the first digit is an identifier of the program?
and that perhaps the 01.01 files are original first versions (?)

So far I have NOT been able to recover EXBASIC from the tapes - I
don't have enough memory to load it. I have a couple of different
EXBASIC tapes - one says 10.02.02 on the tape, and 10.02.01 on the
drawer it's in - the other does not mention a version.

I've been trying for several hours to figure out a way to read the tape
and output to the console port on the fly, however no matter what I try
I do not see any data from the Cassette port within my H8 program.

PAM-8 can load the tapes fine - but I read the Tape status port ($F9) and
test the RX-READY bit (02 mask) and I never see a data indication. I have
initialized the ports EXACTLY the way PAM-8 does (I patched the emulator to
record all I/O events and looked to see exactly what PAM-8 does) ... but I
still cannot see any data (and YES - I remembered to set the interchange
switch back to normal).

The program works under the emulator - if I mount an input file on the tape
port and run the program, it dutifully barfs it out to the console, however
on the real H8 with the tape running - I get nothing!

I still have a number of tapes marked "memory images" to go - a couple of
slips of paper indicating that they have memory test and led display programs.

Anyone know what I have to do to read the cassette interface?

Regards,
Dave
--
dave04a (at)    Dave Dunfield
com             Vintage computing equipment collector.