[sebhc] Emulating H17

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Fri May 21 05:19:38 CDT 2004

Ok - I ripped the drive out of my document processing station (Athlon 1200), put in
a new drive, installed winblows, installed Acrobloat 5 and gave it a go. Still took
nearly a minute per page, but I managed to print the H17 document.

Only to discover that it contains almost no useful information.

If anyone is interested in having the H17 included in my emulator, here is what I
need. Probably some of this material is already in the archive, but please give
pointers, as my free time has dropped to almost 0.

- Detailed register description for the disk controller hardware.
  What register addresses does it use?
  What is the meaning of each bit that is read/written from each register?
  Samples for format/read/write code would be handy.

- H17 ROM image to install in the emulators address space.
  - Full ROM listing would be nice.

- Details of the H17 ROM image entry points. What addresses to you call to issue
  disk commands?  How do you pass various parameters to the drivers?  How do  you
  receive results back?

- Image of a bootable HDOS diskette. This should be a file which is exactly 102400
  bytes in size, containing a raw binary dump of the disk from track-0,sector-0 to
  track-39,sector-9 (256 byte sector x 10 sectors/track x 40 tracks/disk = 102400).
  The OS on the disk image must come up on the standard H8 console.

- Details on how to BOOT the system. I assume you execute a routine in the H17 ROM.
  I could find no mention of this in the H17 document. Under "Operation" all they
  have is "here's how to open the drive door and slide in a disk".

Regards,
Dave
  --
dave04a (at)    Dave Dunfield
com             Vintage computing equipment collector.