[sebhc] Emulator H17 progress

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Mon May 24 07:06:59 CDT 2004

Ok - I've just implemented the ability to write to the drive.

I can boot HDOS, run programs, execute BASIC, save a program
to disk, exit the simulator, re-enter the simulator, boot,
load basic, load my saved program and run it - so it looks
pretty good!

Unfortunately, due to the way the H17 drives work, I have to
simulate the speed of the floppy as well - basically, if the
holes come too fast, the skip sector function will not skip
single sectors correctly.

This driver uses a raw binary image of the disk data only,
it regenerates the header as required following each sector
hole. This means that it may not work with non-HDOS formats
or programs which do "tricks" with the disk format.

I have to clean up the driver a bit, add some "fluff" to let
you mount/unmount drives, but it's basically there - might
even have a version to release by the end of the day (depends
on what else I have going on).

Whew! - getting this working has been harder than writing the
rest of the emulator.

Regards,
Dave
--
dave04a (at)    Dave Dunfield
com             Vintage computing equipment collector.