[sebhc] h17 and h8d disk images

Barry Watzman Watzman at neo.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 20:44:11 CDT 2004

I may be having a "bad memory day" -- it's been 20 years, after all --, but
that's not my recollection.  The Microsoft stuff for HDOS, of course, only
worked under HDOS.  For CP/M there was a "vendor" byte in the CP/M serial
number that an applications program could check, and all of the Microsoft
software for CP/M (sold by Heath) did check that and wouldn't run unless it
had one of {I think} 3 values, the values assigned to Lifeboat (which sold
CP/M for Heath systems, for a while), Heathkit and Zenith Data Systems.

But I don't believe that we played any games with the memory mapping in any
of the software that I was responsible for (which was all of the systems
software under CP/M for the H-8 and H-89).