[sebhc] Floppies, archives, and ROMs

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Tue Feb 1 12:10:17 CST 2005

>From: "Steven Parker" <sp11 at hotmail.com>
>
>Barry wrote:
>>Actually, the discs have 11 holes, 10 equally spaced and one in between
>>(not
>>sure it's exactly halfway, it might be).
>
>Yes, the index hole is midway between to sector holes.
>
>Dave wrote (regarding simulating hard-sector pulses with soft-sector
>diskettes):

Hi
 I think Dave's idea is great. I've considered doing it
myself but just never got around to it. What I did do was
to make a punch to make my own hard sectored disk.
 I used an old SA400 frame that I had laying around
( it had no electronics ). I mounted a couple of aluminum
blocks that I milled on my small lathe. I used the same
locations as the sector sensor.
 I used a drill bit ( I think it was a #38 or #39 ) as
the punch by carefully sharpening the end.
 I put some small holes on the fly wheel to use as detents
to locate where to place the holes. I've not finished the
mechanical detents but use a pointer that I hot glued
on.
 It is slow to create the disk and if I look at my time
consumed by punching and testing, they are not exactly
a bargain. Still, it is hobby time and I enjoy fiddling.
I have a big box of 360K disk that have no other purpose
than to become hard sectored.
Dwight