[sebhc] printer driver

Barry Watzman Watzman at neo.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 11:34:53 CST 2005

For all of it's faults, when the H-14 came out, it was a blockbuster
product.  You have to put yourself in the correct timeframe.  When it came
out, in 1978, there was NOTHING available in the way of a reasonable printer
(excluding various used and surplus products) under about $1,000.  Sure, the
H-14 had it's limits, but for about 18 months, it was the least expensive
printer you could buy, and it DID work.

The biggest widespread problem was that as originally shipped, the drive to
the paper feed motor was inadequate, and sometimes line feeds ... didn't.
This was fixed with a modification board that was added beginning a few
months after initial production, and which was also made available for
retrofit to earlier customers.  My recollection is that it was mounted
vertically in the back right-hand corner of the printer.