[sebhc] Z37 Calibration

Lee Hart leeahart at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 30 12:48:50 CST 2005

Mark Garlanger wrote:
>   I got the H-89-37 controller installed, I can NOT believe how
> little room there is to work in the H-89. Getting all the cables
> and boards disconnected, reconnected, and routed in the computer
> just about drove me crazy.

It seems bad, but it isn't. It all fits together "just so". Like packing
a suitcase, you have to install each piece in order, and route the
cables as shown in the illustrations, and it all fits neatly.

> I'm currently at a loss on how to create new bootable soft-sectored
> disks.

First, you need the Heath CP/M master disks, which have all the files
you need. It needs to be at least version 2.203 to have the support
files for the soft-sector controller.

Basically, you run the MAKEBIOS proceedure, to make a new BIOS to
support both the H17 and H37 controllers. Heath documents the proceedure
pretty well, but it is tedious (especially with only a single H17
drive!). When it finishes, you'll have a bootable H17 disk that *will*
talk to the H37.

Next, you use this new CP/M to format a soft-sector H37 disk. Then, use
MOVCPM37 to make it bootable. PIP whatever files you want from the H17
to the H37 disk. Now you have a bootable H37 disk, and can ignore the
H17 from then on.
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."	-- Harlan Ellison