[sebhc] HDOS sysgen questions (and problems)

Harten harten at injectstar.de
Sun Nov 5 06:14:55 CST 2006

In message <704e82240611041107y4f5ac9f6k23d8d88210cc5299 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'll be willing to make images, but I don't have any software to do
> that. The software I have (h89trans written by Dwight), only works
> with the hard-sectored controller. If there is some other software
> available that works for the soft-sectored disks, let me know. Which
> software are you using to reproduce the disks from images?
>
> Mark

The easiest way is ( and that's how i do it) to use a nativ old MS-DOS
(PC-clone) machine.

Why that? These old machines have 5.25" floppy drives (often called 360 K Drive)
          and there is software for reading foreign disk formats.

In detail:

Hardware  286 / 386 / 486 are the best machines for backing up floppy disks.
          Not too fast 586 / pentium I will work also.

          One 5.25" floppy drive with 40 tracks double sided (360 k) is perfect.
          A 1.2 M HD floppy drive will be able to read 40 track disks, but not to
          write back.

          Another important thing is the floppy-controller. Most common controller-
          cards will be able to read even single density disks. A 37C65 controller
          chip will read and write single density disks.

OS        Native MS-DOS version 4.0 and above is the best choice.
          Windows 95/98 started in DOS-Mode will work also.

Software  TELEDISK is very easy to use and common. Images produced with TELEDISK
          are called TD0 as this is the ending of the filenames xxxxxxxx.td0

          There are several versions of TELEDISK, which are all a bit different.
          You have to try out which version works best on your hardware.

          IMAGEDISK let you make more decisions on the way of reading the disk
          and works also great for me.

I hope this will help You!

Regards.

Axel