[sebhc] H89 diskette drive

Carroll Waddell carrollwaddell at sc.rr.com
Mon May 14 12:38:23 CDT 2007

The blown caps were obvious. (Pieces of the cap everywhere). After
replacing the board was still dead. Using a scope I checked for a clock
pulse going to the Z80 CPU chip. I was getting a clock input, but no
outputs from the Z80. Replacing the Z80 got the output lines going. I
removed all the memory chips, and starting checking 16K at a time,
starting at the lowest address. Got 16K to work, then removed them, and
tried the next group of 8 chips. Found a couple of bad ones. That is
basically all I have done up to this point. Right now, still trying to
get a diskette to boot.
I give a lot of credit to Lee Hart who told me how to physically locate
the CPU board so I could use a scope on it. I was going nuts trying to
scope the board while it was installed (so close) to the CRT high voltage.
Hope this helps.
Happy computing.
Carroll