[sebhc] H89 BOOT SUCCESS

Bill Beech (NJ7P) nj7p at nj7p.org
Wed May 16 19:58:05 CDT 2007

Alignment disks are nice, but a distribution disk can be used in place
of it with the scope to test alignment.  The trick is still to maximize
the signal on the low and high tracks of the disk from a place on the
drive before they "slice" the signal.  Usually I try to put the scope on
the output of the head amplifier before the signal gets into any digital
devices.

I have aligned 5 and 8-inch floppy drives with both a standard alignment
disk and a single-density distribution disk with success.  Learned these
tricks when I was in Korea where nothing like that was available.

Bill