[sebhc] H-8 question from a new list member.

Lee Hart leeahart at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 17:26:46 CST 2004

Gene Buckle wrote:

> > Finally, it is my opinion that using a physical mechanical hard disk
> > isn't worth the trouble any more. You can get RAM and FlashROM cards and
> > chips so cheaply, and it is so easy to interface them that they have
> > become a far better mass storage solution.
> > --
>
> Lee, don't the Flash cards have a limit on the number of times they can be
> written to?

Yes, but it is thousands of times. Flash is best for program storage;
things that rarely change. CMOS RAM (with a little battery for backup)
is best for data storage; things that you change all the time.

To give you an idea of cost, a 32 megabyte compact flash memory card is
$20, and a 64 megabyte compact RAM memory card is $27 from Digikey.
--
"Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the
world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has!" -- Margaret Meade