[sebhc] H8 tapes for Dave - archiving tapes?

Jack Rubin jack.rubin at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 13 08:06:06 CDT 2004

> >Input from anyone else on best practices for audio tape
> archiving would
> >be appreciated.
>

> You can probably turn your .WAV files into a CD with any of
> the home audio recording packages, and then play them out of
> a CD deck. You can probably also play them straight out of a
> computer, although you might need an older sound card with
> built in amplifier (SB-16?) or use a small external amplifier
> to get the levels required for the input to the tape interface.

Dave,

Sorry - I should have been more specific - I'm recording using PCM at
48KHz in 16 bit mono (I use Total Recorder). Is this the best choice for
preservation in terms of lossless compression and common format?

Your point about playback amplification is interesting - how do I know
or measure the "level" of the audio output? Can I scope the signal and
measure amplitude? I guess I don't need to mention that I'm a pretty
naïve audio guy.

Jack