[sebhc] HUG disk 885-1095 - SY: driver

Patrick patrick at vintagecomputermarketplace.com
Mon Apr 19 13:20:30 CDT 2004

> The README.DOC file on my copy of this disk has a bad section of text
> with legible pages before and after it. Does anyone else have a copy of
> this disk - I think Walt Moore might. If so, would you please take a
> look and see if the .doc file on your copy is intact?

Jack,

I happened to have a ZIP file of the driver on my machine here at the office
(yes, I'm a goof off, and fiercely proud of it :-).

Is this what you are looking for...?

Patrick

HUG SY.DVD INSTALLATION NOTES

Dave Shaw, December, 2001

COPYRIGHT

As noted in the material on the disk image, this driver is Copyright Dean K.
Gibson. I am distributing it here with his permission.

The Display Configuration (DC) program included on the disk was written by
Dave Shaw and is not a part of the original HUG SY: driver package. That
program is in the public domain with no copyright.

GETTING STARTED

The first thing you should do is read (twice!) the file SYDVD.DOC on the
enclosed diskette, and understand it completely.

The emulator supports 80-track and double-sided disks. Disk configuration is
set in the HUG SY: driver as you install it. As noted below, that
configuration gets written to the boot track of all disks init'd with the
new driver, so you should consider the drive configuration to be relatively
static.

As you read SYDVD.DOC, you should be thinking of how you want to lay out
your disk drives. I would recommend that you go with all 40-track, 2-sided
drives to start, as this is the most compatible configuration and offers
excellent storage capacity and performance.

In any case, I strongly recommend that you leave SY0: a 40-track drive. If
you think that you want to make SY0: an 80-track drive, see the section
below, "Making SY0: an 80-track Drive." It's not easy. I managed it once; it
took several hours to figure out the correct sequence.

INSTALLATION

The installation documentation supplied in the file SYDVD.DOC is excellent,
but several points need to be stressed in light of the flexibility of the
emulator.

First, it might appear that you can change disk drive configurations very
easily with the emulator. This is true, AS LONG AS YOU DONOT CHANGE THE
CONFIGURATION OF YOUR BOOT DRIVE(S).

When you init a disk using the new driver, the disk drive configuration as
set in the driver is copied to the boot track of the new disk. When you boot
up that new disk, the configuration of the drive you boot from had better be
the same as when the disk was initialized or the boot will fail.

If you only boot from SY0:, you can change the other two drives as often as
you like, understanding that you have to quit and restart the emulator for a
track density change to take effect. Remember that the driver needs to match
the drive configuration: If you set the 80-track option for a drive in
Preferences, make sure that you also SET SYx: 80TRK for the corresponding
unit, and do so on every one of your bootable disks.

I would recommend that you take the following approach to installation:

(1) Init and Sysgen a new, temporary disk. Let's call it T1.

(2) Copy the HUG driver onto T1.

(3) Boot T1.

(4) Using "set", set the SY: device characteristics  for all three drives,
the way you believe you will leave them for ever. Make all the other sets as
well. Assuming that all drives will be 40x2, I recommend that you set the
driver as follows:

SET SY: MOTOR 127
SET SY: SELECT 0
SET SY0: STEP 2
SET SY1: STEP 2
SET SY2: STEP 2
SET SY0: SIDES 2
SET SY1: SIDES 2
SET SY2: SIDES 2
SET SY0: 40TRK
SET SY1: 40TRK
SET SY2: 40TRK

(I believe there is an error in the documentation related to how the SELECT
parameter works. The documentation would lead you to believe that a high
value for this parameter would be best, but in fact the lowest possible
value gives the best performance.)

There is no benefit in having a single-sided drive. The driver will provide
full single- and double-sided disk functionality in a double-sided drive.

(5) Copy init.abs and sysgen.abs to T1.

(6) If you set any 80-track disks in step 4, set the corresponding 80-track
check box in Preferences, and restart the emulator. Boot T1.

(7) Init and Sysgen a new disk. This will be your master sysgen disk.

(8) Boot from the master sysgen disk. You should find that booting is
somewhat faster with this disk. Delete the T1 disk.

(9) Copy and configure all the software that you want to have on all of your
bootable disks, onto the master sysgen disk.

(10) Init and Sysgen a new copy of all your bootable disks. Copy the unique
content over from the old copy, and trash the old copy.

MAKING SY0: AN 80-TRACK DRIVE

This is a lot of trouble. If you want to try this, make sure you work with
new disks and don't try to boot any of your old disks until you have it
working with the new stuff.

The process goes like this:

(1) Follow steps 1 through 6 above. In step 4, make SY0: a 40-track drive.
Set SY1: and SY2: for 80 tracks.

(2) Boot T1 disk in SY0:.

(3) Init and Sysgen a new disk in drive SY1: or SY2:; lets call it T2.

(4) Using the program "boot.abs", boot T2 in SY1: or SY2:. Example:

        >boot sy1:

(5) When booted, set all three drives to 80trk. Set 80-track preferences on
all three drives. Quit HDOS (bye command) and quit the emulator.

(6) Start the emulator and boot T2 on SY0:. It SHOULD boot correctly.

(7) If you want one of the other two drives to have 40 tracks, set the
driver accordingly, and change the emulator preferences. Then restart the
emulator and boot from T2.

(9) Pick up from Step 7 above. Be sure to trash both T1 and T2.

Now any disk should be bootable in any drive.

QUESTIONS?

If you are having problems understanding how to get this driver installed,
please feel free to drop me an e-mail at heath8080a at aol.com and I'll try to
answer your questions.

Dave Shaw