[sebhc] HUG disk 885-1095 - SY: driver

Walter Moore waltm22 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 13:19:26 CDT 2004

My README.DOC is readable.  Now that taxes and my road trip are over, I've
had time to copy my HUG disks and will be sending them off today or tomorrw.
I had to remove a 16K card from the old H8 - it wasn't being recognized.  I
will have to work on it.  Boy, it was nice to see the old machine working
away again, the front panel displaying the current track, etc.

Anybody have a good memory test for the H8?  I had a descent SRAM test once
upon a time, but if I still have it, it is on 8" disks and I'm still trying
to get those up and running.  Maybe this week I'll be able to clean up the
ones I just received (thank you Jack), and read one of those disks (first
time in 20 years!).

Since I've asked about a memory test, what would be a good way to exchange
software over the net?  I'd like to stick to just using a serial port and
uploading/downloading via a utility (e.g. INTELHEX AT:=SY0:file.ext or
INTELHEX SY1:file.nam=AT: or something like that).  I've written stuff like
that before, it would be pretty easy to do.

Question about SDUP - can it also copy CP/M disks?  One of the disks I was
supposed to copy is CP/M and it wasn't able to copy it.  I don't know if the
disk has gone bad or if SDUP reads/writes via HDOS instead of the ROM and
thus cannot read the CP/M format.

Regarding the SDUP disk I was sent - it would seem a good idea whenever
sending out a copy of a bootable SDUP disk to set the drive stepping to 36ms
for all drives.  Some of these old drives won't step at 8ms.  Just a
thought.

Another thought is what to do about dates.  Can HDOS be patched to be Y2K?
I really doubt it.  I haven't looked at the source code to see what can be
done about it, but it doesn't really like 19-apr-2004.  If we are ever going
to exchange source files we write, there should be some sort of version/date
consistency among the group.

Thoughts?

..walt