[sebhc] Internet Archive Gets Exemption re:Vintage Software

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Wed Aug 18 21:33:51 CDT 2004

>From: "Jack Rubin" <jack.rubin at ameritech.net>
>
>Eric,
>
>Interesting article - took a while to realize it was written in English.
>Anyhow...the exemption speaks to "non-infringing use". How do you
>interpret that?
>
>To me, it means that one is allowed to defeat copy-protection schemes
>(or ignore legal statements prohibiting copying?) to create personal
>backups, transfer to other media by the owner of the original media,
>etc. I don't think it changes anything in our ability to share or
>distribute software, regardless of media. If a work is protected by a
>valid copyright, distribution on different media without permission is
>not "non-infringing". An item doesn't become public domain simply
>because the media on which it exists is obsolete.

Hi
 The only stuff I've release is all copyleft. Still, I beleive that
just that act of copying for archival purposes is "non-infringing".
Copying for use would fall under "infringing" as far as I could tell.
I believe that there is still some confusion as to obsolete media
as compared to making images and putting them on the web. I don't
really understand how this ruling effects that since the material
is no longer on "obsolete media".
Dwight