[sebhc] hard sector substitute

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Mon Jul 12 14:25:48 CDT 2004

>From: "Carroll Waddell" <CarrollWaddell at sc.rr.com>
>
>Dwight K. Elvey wrote:
>
>>Hi
>> I think you guys are getting a little carried away.
>>A simple manual system is all that is needed unless
>>you expect to go into production. One can make a simple
>>manual punch with a section of drill stock and something
>>as simple as a brass block to guide it. One can put some
>>holes on the pulley to use as detent stops to align the
>>punch on the disk.
>> When I find time, that is exactly what I intend to do.
>>I have all the parts and I'm just waiting for the time
>>to deal with it. This isn't a high tech problem.
>>Dwight
>>

>>>From: "Carroll Waddell" <CarrollWaddell at sc.rr.com>

>I do have serious mental problems. I just left the hardware store
>looking for something I could use.
>My name in a former life was probably Rube Goldberg.
>CEW

Hi Carroll
 One could make the punch rod from either a #39 drill ( 0.0995" ) or
a #38 drill ( 0.1015" ). Either of these is most likely within
specs. Drill rod is best to use but just hacking up a drill would
work as well.
 One could use a hard sectored disk to align the detents or
a good index wheel. The small lathe I have has a thread cutting
set. This can also be used to index as well with a little
cleaverness. I expect to mount part of the punch on the body
of the drive ( old SA400 ). The other part would mount
on the moving arm of the disk door latch. I'd clamp it
down and then drill the holes to align correctly. Drilling
both at the same time would help the alignment. The bottom
hole could actually be slightly larger. I'd suspect that
one could drill this with a #38 and use the end of a #39
as the actual punch. One would need to sharpen and make
the punch rod have a saddle like shape.
 The block on the body would need a relief hole on side.
to let the pieces fall out.
Dwight