[sebhc] H8 Emulator update

Eric J. Rothfus eric at rothfus.com
Tue Jun 1 17:17:27 CDT 2004

I took the liberty of trying Steven's blanks with fstool, and
discovered a few things:

  - the first blank looks good - 1 side 40 track 10 sector
    I had to fudge the volume label...but no big deal.  The
    RGT and GRT look fine too.

  - the single sided 80 track is reporting as 2
    sides in "fstool".  Don't know where the problem is...
    either in fstool or in the label sector on the disk.
    I'll try to figure it out and let you know.  I haven't
    used fstool on anything but 40-track images up to now.
    Note that not only is is reporting as 2, it is crashing
    the program.  Bad, bad programmer! :-)

  - Also, I didn't know how the binary represents multiple
    sides.  Using (side,track,sector) is it:

	    (0,0,0)
	    (0,0,1)
	    (0,0,2)
	    (0,0,9)
	    (0,1,0)
	    (0,1,1)
	    (0,39,9)
	    (1,0,0)    (sectors, then tracks, then sides)

    or the cylinder approach

	    (0,0,0)
	    (0,0,1)
	    (0,0,2)
	    (0,0,9)
	    (1,0,0)
	    (1,0,1)   (sectors, then sides, then tracks)

    or as some whacky formats are done (kinda' a head one, head two thing):

	    (0,0,0)
	    (1,0,0)
	    (0,0,1)
	    (1,0,1)
	    (0,0,2)   (sector side 1, sector side 2, then tracks)

More later.

Eric