[sebhc] New CPU card

Lee Hart leeahart at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 13 23:42:36 CDT 2004

Carroll Waddell wrote:
> That's an interesting idea, but finding some of the parts would be
> difficult. The front keypad switches might could be replaced with
> something a little more modern. I've never found those key switches
> anywhere else.

I think that is naturally what you would do. They are a standard size
and shape, and so would be easy to replace with something modern. At
worst, it will have a different PCB layout footprint, but that doesn't
matter if we are making a new PCB anyway.

> I'm sure your idea could be built, but I feel like the board
> would be too crowded to put together as a kit. Of course, it
> might still be possible. I've always believed that almost
> anything is possible.

The front panel board is *very* uncrowded. I have a spreadsheet PCB size
estimator, and it says the component density of a combined
Z80+memory+front panel board is still less than 50%. So, I think it can
be done without making it hard to hand-assemble.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net