[sebhc] H8 Tape interface debugging?

Scott LaBombard labomb at rochester.rr.com
Sun May 16 15:38:12 CDT 2004

Hi Dave,

Page 40 of the H8-5 manual (posted to the archives) details an
alignment procedure that you should execute. It doesn't require
any equipment ...only jumpering test points and observing the
on-board LED. The procedure sets the space detector and
PLL circuits ... essential for proper operation I've discovered
in the past.

Also, the usual 'cassette caveats' apply ... adjust tone/volume
until things works reliably (as reliable as this medium can be :)).
You might also try disconnecting from the Record jack (leaving
only Play attached) when attempting to load.

As you note the circuits could be drifting ... but as likely the
tape medium could simply be marginal.

Scott