[sebhc] download and printing problems?

Christian Fandt cfandt at netsync.net
Wed May 19 08:24:13 CDT 2004

Dave (and all),

As you likely know, your machine is underpowered for that bloatware
application. I believe you wrote in the earlier part of this thread, which
I didn't keep, that you use a P166 machine.

I use windoze98SE and the latest Acrobat Reader ver. 6 (not the complete
Acrobat app.) and I have acceptable results. However, my machine is an AMD
Athlon XP 1800+  with 512 Meg of RAM and a moderately fast mo'board.

Even with this higher horsepower, it STILL takes around ten seconds or so
just to load the .dll's and crap and START the danged Reader before
anything begins to display. But, I can view and print in a normal manner
the H17 manual you are discussing Dave, as well as any other .pdf I've
worked with.

Nevertheless, I can't blame you at all for your disdain of M$ windoze stuff
and its associated bloatware. I still resist leaving windoze98SE but fear
that I'll have to break down and load up win 2k sometime soon
:-/  Certainly not winXP, if ever. By then, I'll have settled into Linux.

Can you imagine what it would be like if we *only* had uProcessors like the
8-bit Z80 (but at least with huge amounts of cheap memory available) and
*had* to use bloatware like this??!  Hospitals would be chock full of
suicidal patients and newly-minted lunatics. Anxiety attacks would abound.
Office anarchy everywhere!

All this discussion on this new list (new for me) is very slowly prodding
me into hauling out my good ol' H8/H37/H19 system to play with once again.
Thanks much! And I was originally thinking of getting out one of my
H11/H27/H9 systems first to see if an RT-11 distribution I had could fire
up . . .

Jeeeze, just what I need. Yet *another* project to tinker with around here! ;-)

Regards,  Chris

NNNN

Upon the date 05:28 AM 5/19/04 -0700, Dave Dunfield said something like:

> >what file was this?
> >anybody else having similar (or other) problems?
> >(or anybody else downloading and printing with no problems?)
>
>It's the H17 floppy disk controller document.
>
>I doub't its a problem with the file - it seems that Acrobat 5 doesn't
>run very well under Win98.
>
>I haven't tried printing any other files from the archives, as I don't
>normally use AB5 (way too slow to be useful), and they just show page
>sized "grey boxes" under AB4 (no images).
>
>Regards,
>--
>dave04a (at)    Dave Dunfield
>dunfield (dot)  Firmware development services & tools: www.dunfield.com
>com             Vintage computing equipment collector.
>                 http://www.parse.com/~ddunfield/museum/index.html
>
>--

Christian Fandt,    Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY  USA      cfandt at netsync.net
         Member of Antique Wireless Association