[sebhc] H17 ROM and disk info

Steven Parker sp11 at hotmail.com
Sat May 22 17:15:45 CDT 2004

I was already thinking about having a custom driver for a large capacity
pc-hard-disk.  But using one to operate on H17 disk images is intriguing!

>What is the goal of having "H-17" emulation in the emulator?

Well, to be able to boot and run original, unmodified software.  :-)

>Now, I can tell you from personal experience that HDOS 2.0 will run without
>an H-17 installed in the system.

How did you boot it?  Or are you just talking about a system with a
DIFFERENT controller, like a -47?

>...I need to power the system back up and look at the files supplied with
>HDOS 2.0

Or .. check the HDOS 2.0 sources in the "sources" section of the archives.
:-)

>This can be done the quickest with a small system device
>driver were the emulator can recognize a couple of addresses to trap on and
>perform a sector read/write, or even through a couple of unused I/O port
>address which are emulated.

So you're still emulating a controller ... just a very smart "virtual" one.
:-)

Cheers,

- Steven