[sebhc] H17 ROM and disk info

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Mon May 24 11:27:20 CDT 2004

>From: "Steven Parker" <sp11 at hotmail.com>
>
>>Question: Does any H8 software ever do anything "funny" with these values?
>
>HDOS doesn't.  I'm not entirely sure what other parties may have done with
>them.
> ---snip---

Hi
 I wrote a FIG Forth for the H89 a number of years ago. I
didn't keep the convention of placing the volume number on
sector 9 as HDOS does and all my volumes are all 0. I know
now why HDOS did this volume stuff. My understanding was
that it was so that one couldn't accidentally overwrite another
volume with data from a previous volume that had not been
properly dismounted.
 I was wondering, has anyone see a utility to overwrite the
HDOS volume number. While we are exchanging images, we will
most likely create disk that have the same volume number.
It would be good to be able to modify the volume number of
a disk to be consistant with the personal library of disk.
This would help keep the protections that HDOS has built in.
 I could add this to my image transfer program because it
would be trivial to add.
Dwight