[sebhc] Shelf life of floppies

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Tue May 16 09:23:51 CDT 2006

I have to agree with that.  Even data cassette tapes from the late
70's/early 80's in my collection are still readable.  There are always the
gloom and doomers with all kinds of media, including CD's and DVD's today,
but it seems even media that should be extremely fragile like disks and
cassettes can hold up well with even decent storage.  I have most of my
collection in a reasonably climate controlled room these days, but for a
good 8 years or so an unfortunate portion was in my parent's garage of all
places.  It all held up thank goodness even under those conditions.  With
that said, I definitely look to back up whatever I don't feel like I can
restore from an archived image.  I even bought a pro dual cassette deck so I
can start to copy my more obscure data media, like with one of the Interact
computers I have.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
Armchair Arcade, Inc.
(A PC Magazine Top 100 Website)