[sebhc] H89 Diskette Trouble

Stanley Webb spamspike at comcast.net
Wed May 16 06:18:59 CDT 2007

On May 16, 2007 Stan Webb replied:

A couple of things come to mind, (please forgive me if I'm stating
the obvious):

I am most familiar with HDOS 2.0, so i'll assume that's the Boot disk
you're using.  If the diskette step rate the driver on the boot disk
is using is too low for the drive, I believe the disk won't boot. The
Siemens drive in my original Z89 wouldn't reliably step faster than
about 16-18 milliseconds. The pair of double sided 40 track Mitsumi
drives I installed later stepped much faster and of course I set the
step rate lower for greater speed.  The default step rate on the HDOS
distribution that came with my computer was 30 ms.

I believe you should also be sure the drive itself is jumpered to be
drive 0, since otherwise it would not send data.

You didn't say how many sides or number of tracks were on the Boot
Disks you are using, but I am quite sure a double sided Boot diskette
will not boot in a single sided drive and an 80 track diskette would
not boot either in a 40 track drive like the Siemens drive that came
with my Z89.

You might try pressing the space key a few times, just in case the
baud rate recorded in the boot track of your Boot disk is different
than that of the H89 you are trying to resurrect.

Your CPU logic board switch is set in default configuration, 9600
Baud (POS 6&7 set 0)
My Z89 Operation manual also says this:

Quote/

Terminal Logic Circuit Board
Switch S402 the switches on S402 are set at the factory to "0".
Switch S401 is preset for:
MODE          Switch Selector
                        0 1 2 3  4 5 6 7
9600 Baud      0 0 1 1
No parity                       0
Even parity                      0
Normal parity                      0
Full Duplex                            1

... Heath Software does not check parity ...

CPU Logic Circuit Board
Programming Jumpers
The programming jumpers JJ505 through JJ508 are determined by the
types of location of the system PROM's. Be sure the jumpers are
installed as follows:
Jumper       Location
JJ506            0
JJ507            0
JJ505            0
JJ508            B

Serial Interface

Refer to Pictorial 5-2 (Illustration Booklet, page 4 and set all
three programming jumpers to OFF if this has not already been done.

end quote/

I notice these Jumper numbers are somewhat different than yours

I have 2 Z89's I can further examine if you think I might be able to
help you.