[sebhc] Internet Archive Gets Exemption re:Vintage Software

Jack Rubin jack.rubin at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 18 21:21:37 CDT 2004

Eric,

Interesting article - took a while to realize it was written in English.
Anyhow...the exemption speaks to "non-infringing use". How do you
interpret that?

To me, it means that one is allowed to defeat copy-protection schemes
(or ignore legal statements prohibiting copying?) to create personal
backups, transfer to other media by the owner of the original media,
etc. I don't think it changes anything in our ability to share or
distribute software, regardless of media. If a work is protected by a
valid copyright, distribution on different media without permission is
not "non-infringing". An item doesn't become public domain simply
because the media on which it exists is obsolete.

Maybe some of the software authors on the list can provide their
perspective.

Jack