[sebhc] fstools and other things

Dave Dunfield dave04a at dunfield.com
Wed Jun 2 17:29:29 CDT 2004

>But I feel (again, judgement here) that the volume number is a bit
>different story.  As far as I know, there's only one volume number for
>an HDOS floppy as well as a CP/M floppy.  God knows why the
>volume number is in the header of every sector.

It's on every sector, so that the driver can always detect if the disk
has been changed without having to seek back to track0 & read the disk
header before every operation. (Even on a write, I believe the driver
reads the "tunnel" as Steven called it before beginning to write in the
data portion (at least that would make sense, as wrong diskette could
be detected even on a write) - the only time the sector header should
have to be written is during initialization.

Regards,
Dave
--
dave04a (at)    Dave Dunfield
com             Vintage computing equipment collector.