[sebhc] Soft or Hard?

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Wed Jun 30 14:27:30 CDT 2004

>From: "Carroll Waddell" <CarrollWaddell at sc.rr.com>
>
>What I meant was, why use a hard sector controller at all. Didn't Heath
>make a soft sector controller? Why not use (or remanufacture) that?

Hi
 I don't expect to make a new disk controller for
my H8. I expect to be able to use the H17. This
is just an alternate way of dealing with these
things.
 We'd like to keep with the images that were
intended to run under the hard sectored machines.
The images for the hard sector drives will not
run on the soft sectored machines. One would have
to make sure that all the places that do low
level access to the disk are replaced by the
soft sectored access. Most applictions may use
the system calls so it is possible to move the
high level files from one to the other but
not the OS specific files. This would require
moving only specific files and not images.
 The INIT command for hard sectored would not
work for the soft sectored as an example.
The editor might work in both.
Dwight