[sebhc] Re: Welcome & Bio

Patrick Rigney prigney at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 31 18:54:26 CST 2004

> Patrick wrote:
> > My bio: In Heath/Zenith, I currently own four H/Z-88/89/90's in
> > various configurations... My "reference" '89 (named "Smokey") has
> > the soft-sectored controller (thanks to help from Lee Hart)...
>
> Egads! I hope it didn't earn the name "Smokey" by letting any of the
> magic smoke out! :-)

It got out, but it's working so I think I was successful in putting it back.
:-)  It earned it's name on first power-up out of the box... three tantalums
blew immediately, two on the CPU board, one on the terminal logic board.

> > I've been collecting peripheral cards here and there, but have no
> > documentation for most of them...
>
> I have documentation for all the Heath cards, as well as the Magnolia
> #77316 floppy controller and #77318 128K memory board. Your timing was
> perfect, as I was just about to send it off to Jake Rubin tomorrow. Do
> you want me to make a copy of it before I do?

Lee, thank you, but I have originals, so I'm good shape, I think.  Are you
also sending Jack the Magnolia CP/M docs?  I have that on my desk to scan
for him, so you might save me an hour with my scanner. :-)

> You also need the Magnolia boot ROM and I/O decoder. I think I have both
> of these as well. Finally, you need Magnolia CP/M. I do not think I have
> any bootable Magnolia CP/M disks, but maybe someone out there does.

Boot ROM and decoder I have, although there is a question in my mind if the
boot ROM is the right version.  Oh, and by "boot ROM", I assume you mean the
EPROM normally occupied by MTR-88/89/90.  The other question is what
revisions or rework may be necessary to the '89 CPU board itself beyond the
EPROM/PROM replacements.  I remember pulling a gate and the decode PROM and
installing a daughter card that also had a connector to the 128K memory
card, but It's been a couple of months since I tried to get this working, so
rather than me handing out more sketchy details from my poor memory, I need
to go through the install process again so I can document/share exactly what
I've done and what the results are.

I have images of Magnolia boot disks from Don Maslin, but I have not been
able to test them as yet, and have no idea if they are somebody's working
disks or real distribution masters.

As always, thanks for your help, Lee!
Patrick