[sebhc] Emulator future? + request for tools

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Wed May 26 21:48:33 CDT 2004

>From: "Jack Rubin" <jack.rubin at ameritech.net>

---snip---

>The other thing I would find most helpful seems to already exist, though
>perhaps not collected in one place. This would be a toolkit that allows
>conversion among the various image formats that we have - many of you
>seem to be able to move between binary, hex and .h17 formats, but I'm
>not clear on the processes or tools used to do so. I can create an .h17
>file using diskdump on the H8 or dump a hex or binary ROM file to the PC
>from my PROM burner, but I don't have conversion tools to interchange
>the formats (or I have the tools and don't know how to use them!). I'd
>greatly appreciate it if you all could reduce this to a cookbook level.

Hi Jack
 I'm not sure what the .h17 format is but I have a couple of
home made tools to convert from Intel Hex to binary and back.
There are surely some of these on the web someplace. There isn't
much to them. The prom programmer I have will read and write
several different formats to and from its buffer as well.
 I know it is a little difficult right now but soon enough, we
should settle in on something. I consider writing converters to
be straight forward:

Open the input file
create an output file
begin loop
 read in a logical chunk ( line, 16 bytes or what ever )
 translate to the new output format
 Write to the output file.
When out of input end loop
close them all.

 I could show you some of my code but you'd need to be proficient
in Forth. It can be a little confusing to someone used to
infixed notation( C, Pascal, modula2 etc. ).
Dwight