[sebhc] H8 configuration

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Thu May 27 19:38:08 CDT 2004

Hi Carroll
 The ROM can just be a 2716 with code from the site as I recall.
I don't think you need any special mods to use the 2716's.
I think Anchor Electronics still has 2114's. There are also
some board modifications that you'll need to make. Look at
the pdf for the XCON8 to see what was modified ( I think it
is just a jumper or two and a cap/resistor ). You need to
undo these modifications as your board was configured
for the XCON8 setup and not the PAM8( unless, of course that
is what you have ). If you have the Z80 board you don't need
either the ROM or RAM chips.
 I suspect that HDOS will find the serial port, it is just that
my code is a complete bootstrap. My code runs before any
thing else runs so I needs to initialize the serial port
and specifically talk to it. It is not an application
that runs under HDOS. The ROM only has code to talk to
the cassette, not the serial.
 Remember, this is a bootstrap from ground zero. I do have
code to write out the main code that I use for bootstrapping
to the disk but, again, this is not a HDOS disk. It is
just a disk that boots to the transfer program. I don't get
all the HDOS calls to play with. This way, one only needs
to enter the bootstrap code once from the front panel.
 Thanks for the port info.

 How many people out there have a PAM8 with the disk connected
and running? What does your setup look like?
Dwight