[sebhc] Z37 Diag

Mark Garlanger garlanger at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 22:44:15 CDT 2006

On 8/6/06, Lee Hart <leeahart at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Mark Garlanger wrote:
> > I booted the hard-sectored version of the diag disk...
> > It starts up with
> > "ZENITH DATA SYSTEMS Z37 SUPPORT SYSTEM"
> > 1. Disk controller checkout
> > 2. General drive/controller diagnostic
> >
> > Choosing option one - First it checks to see if the motors
> > are all spinning.. and that is fine.
> > Then it checks the drive select. That is also fine.
> >
> > Then it gets to:
> > "VERIFYING HEAD POSITIONING SYSTEM. STAND BY..."
> >
> > Displays the following error:
> > "NO TRACK ZERO INDICATION. CHECK HEAD MOVEMENT
> > AND INDICATOR OPERATION."
>
> The Z89-37 controller board has two 34-pin connectors for disk drives.
> You can connect a total of 3 drives (DS0, DS1, and DS2) to these two
> connectors. There is a jumper block (J4-J7) on the Z89-37 board to
> select which drive is on which connector.
>
> The symptom you describe sounds like your drives are plugged into the
> wrong 34-pin connector, or jumpers J4-J7 are configured wrong (so the
> board is looking for drives on the wrong connector).

I was initially thinking the same thing, I had it connected to the top
connector and set it properly(DS2). It still was having problems. I
played with it some more after you said it and apparently the diag
disk assumes that you always have at least a DS1 drive. So now I'm
past that point. Now option 1 completes successfully. In option 2, I'm
able to Format the disk, but when I try any of the other options (even
rotational speed) it says:
UNABLE TO READ THIS DISK AT ALL.
REMEMBER THAT THE DISK MUST BE FORMATTED BY THE "F"
OPTION BEFORE THEY CAN BE USED BY THIS DIAGNOSTIC.

The initial try was with DS DD and 80 tracks. I also tried SS SD and
40 tracks, with the same error.

Mark