[sebhc] Suggestions for restoration of poorly maintained equipment

J Blaser oldcpu at rogerwilco.org
Sat Sep 16 13:21:48 CDT 2006

Mark Garlanger wrote:
> I was the winning bidder of this not so well taken care of H89(pics in
> the link):

This one has lived a hard life, for sure! :)

> signs of rust and corrosion. Is it possible to clean it off with
> anything? Is there anything I need to be careful about with the
> floppy? Except for dirt and cobwebs, it appears to be in ok condition.

During the past 12 months I've been reviving a number of old (off-topic,
I know) DEC PDP-11s and MicroVAXen.  Some were in good shape, some were
in pretty dirty state.  To clean them up, I started by vacuuming (yes!)
everything I could reach with my shop vac hose.  Then I disassembled
each system down to the major components (boards, drives, etc.),
vacuumed again, and then used Windex, first sprayed onto a rag (I don't
spray directly onto the parts), to clean everything from there.  This
has worked very well for me, and as long as everything is dry before you
re-assemble and apply power, there is no problem.

Good luck!  ;)

Jared