[sebhc] H8 connectors

Jack Rubin jack.rubin at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 20 15:00:22 CDT 2004

Dwight,

You're coming in loud and clear -

I've used Nyogel 759G in the same role - this is a synthetic grease
designed specifically for lubricating tin-lead contacts and
reducing/preventing fretting corrosion. It's been superceded by 760G
which also includes a copper deactivator, but either will do wonders for
reducing board insertion force and wiping wear on pin contacts. You
won't believe the difference on an H8 board after you've applied a
coating to the pins. It's even more dramatic on the large pins on a
SWTPc system. Take a look at www.nyelubricants.com for a lot more info
on their various synthetic lubricants - the white papers on multi-pin
automotive products and the like are pretty interesting. The Big Three
automakes all specify these lubes for assembly of their wiring harness
connectors. The stuff sells for about $50 for a 500g (1 lb) container;
I'm negotiating a partial container and will resell some if people are
interested.

The other part of this process - which should really come first - is
cleaning the contacts - if you don't know about Caig Labs products, take
a look here - www.caig.com . I use DeOxit to clean old contacts
(including ICs and sockets) and then, at least for bus connectors,
follow up with Nyogel. Great for keyboards too.

Jack