[sebhc] Hello to all H-8 Users!

Collado, Norberto norberto.collado at hp.com
Thu Jun 3 11:00:11 CDT 2004

Hello!

    I want to thank Jack Rubin for finding and allowing me to join the
H-8 mailing list. I was happy to see that the H-8 spirit is still alive
between all of you. The H-8 was my first computer back them. I created
the H-8 User's Group for Puerto Rico and we all had a great time sharing
information to improved the system performance. We did 3 important
projects for the H-8 computer. We designed a 256KBytes Static Board with
no wait states, and bank switching technology to improved the system
performance. Then we replaced the 8080 CPU with a Z80 board from another
company and I was responsible to push it to 10 MHZ. Then last project we
did was the Super Buffer I/O board which used a Z80 with 512K bytes of
Dynamic RAM to buffer all printing needs. It had a serial input and a
serial or parallel output to the printer, a real time clock to keep the
system time under H-DOS or CP/M up to date, and the bank switching port
to drive the 256KB memory board. I'm sending a picture of it to be
posted on the gallery.

    I still have my H-8 and last time it was power-up was in 1986 after
moving from Puerto Rico to Framingham, MA and it has all the
improvements that I mentioned; plus a 10 Meg had drive which I will love
to upgrade to an IDE drive if someone has done it. Once I unboxed my H-8
I will let you know what goodies I still have.

thanks,

Norberto Collado
AlphaServer Platform Group
Hewlett Packard Company